New York Climate & Temperature
- New York, Usa is at 41°0'N, 74°0'W, 40 m (130 ft). See map.
- New York has a humid subtropical climate that is mild with no dry season, constantly moist (year-round rainfall). Summers are hot and muggy with thunderstorms. Winters are mild with precipitation from mid-latitude cyclones. Seasonality is moderate. (Köppen-Geiger classification: Cfa).
- According to the Holdridge life zones system of bioclimatic classification New York is situated in or near the cool temperate moist forest biome.
- The annual mean temperature is 12.6 degrees Celsius (54.7 degrees Fahrenheit). See the temperatures page for a monthly breakdown and the fixed scale graph.
- Average monthly temperatures vary by 25.2 °C (45.4°F). This indicates that the continentality type is continental, subtype subcontinental.
- In the winter time records indicate temperatures by day reach 4.5°C (40.1°F) on average falling to -2.4°C (27.7°F) overnight.
- In spring time temperatures climb reaching 16.1°C (61°F) generally in the afternoon with overnight lows of 6.8°C (44.2°F).
- During summer average high temperatures are 28.3°C (83°F) and average low temperatures are 19°C (66.2°F).
- Come autumn/ fall temperatures decrease achieving average highs of 18.4°C (65.2°F) during the day and lows of 10.2°C (50.3°F) generally shortly after sunrise.
- Total annual Precipitation averages 1200.2 mm (47.3 inches) which is equivalent to 1200.2 Litres/m² (29.44 Gallons/ft²).
- On average there are 2656 hours of sunshine per year. Visit the sunshine and daylight section to check monthly details including how high in the sky the sun reaches each month.
- Were you to burrow down through the centre of the Earth from New York you would pop up nearest to the climate station at Albany, Western Australia, Australia where you would find a Mediterranean climate.
New York Climate Comparisons
In depth comparisons with over 3,600 world destinations. Better understand a climate by comparing it relative to one you know (check it out):
Rio de Janeiro,
New York Climate Graph in Metric Units
New York Climograph in English Units
Please help others find this resource by sharing the link:
Climate of New York, Usa Discussion
Post your insights, comments, questions, answers, feedback, error reports, related link suggestions etc. using the easy form below.
Navigate to Surrounding Climate Guides:
- Port Jervis, Ny, Usa - 83.9 kms (52.1 miles) W
- Boontonse, Nj, Usa - 35.9 kms (22.3 miles) WSW
- Newark, Nj, Usa - 36.2 kms (22.5 miles) SSW
- Allentown/ A.-Bethlehem, Pa, Usa - 126.7 kms (78.7 miles) WSW
- New Brunswick, Nj, Usa - 68.6 kms (42.7 miles) SW
- Bridgeport/ Sikorsky Memorial, Ct, Usa - 75 kms (46.6 miles) ENE
- Setauket Strong, Ny, Usa - 83.9 kms (52.1 miles) E
- Block Island, Ri, Usa - 78.9 kms (49 miles) ESE
- New York/ Laguardia, Ny, Usa - 27.3 kms (16.9 miles) SSE
- New York/ Jfk, Ny, Usa - 43 kms (26.7 miles) SSE